The absolute pinnacle of Ukrainian cake cuisine, Spartak cake has fans all over the world. It might take a bit of baking time – you need 8 layers – but as soon as you take the first tiny bite, you will see it is worth every second of your time and effort. The tender, light cream spread between all the layers soaks in beautifully if you let the cake sit in the fridge for at least 12 hours. Every piece feels like a fluffy chocolate cloud on your tongue and pleasantly tickles your palate.
- 12 oz cream cheese softened
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter room temp
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
How to Make Spartak Cake:
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder in a bowl. Set aside.
- Bring water in a pot to a boil.
- Whisk the sugar, eggs, butter, baking soda, and milk in a bowl.
- Steam over a medium-high heat until the sugar and butter completely dissolve. Stir as needed (approx. 6-8 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and quickly stir in the flour mixture while still hot.
- Set aside for the dough to cool (approx. 15 minutes).
- Dust the surface with flour. Put the dough onto the work surface and divide into 8 pieces.
- Sprinkle flour over the dough. Roll the dough out to about 9".
- Place a round dish over the dough and cut out an even circle. Keep the scraps.
- Place the cake layer onto parchment paper and bake (approx. 6-8 minutes).
- Repeat with all the 8 layers. Bake the leftover scraps.
How to Make the Frosting:
- Whip the heavy whipping cream in a bowl until thick.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese and butter.
- Add the condensed milk and powdered sugar.
- Combine both mixtures.
- Fold in the heavy whipping cream.
How to Assemble it:
- Add some cream to the bottom of the cake platter. Add the first cake layer.
- Cover with cream and top with another cake layer.
- Repeat with all the cake layers using the nicest layer for the top.
- Cover the top and sides of the cake with the rest of the cream.
- Blend or crush the baked cake scraps.
- Generously coat the top and sides of cake with the crumbs.
- Refrigerate overnight or until the cake layers soften