Makovo Vyshnevyi (Poppyseed Cake with Cherry Jelly)
A masterful combination of sourish cherry jelly and sweetish, moist poppyseed mixture gives your tongue a pleasant, slightly tickling sensation.
Emphasized by a lightweight soft sponge, this taste is unlike anything you’ve tried before.
The cake just has everything Ukrainian dessert cuisine is famous for: tender milk chocolate on top, pretty poppyseeds dotting the sponge, bright red jelly for the texture, and hard cream for contrast.
Makovo-Vyshnevyi (Poppyseed Cake with Cherry Jelly)
For Sponge cake:
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ lb flour
- ½ lb sugar
- 5 oz poppyseeds
For the Hard sauce:
- 5 yolks
- 5 oz sugar
- 2 pints milk
- 1 pinch vanilla sugar
- ½ lb dairy butter
For the Cherry jelly:
- 1 ½ cup (12 oz) water
- 0,5 pint cherry juice
- 9 oz frozen cherries
- 2 packs cherry jelly
For the Topping:
- 1 bar milk chocolate
How to Make Makovo-Vyshnevyi:
- Combine the yolks, vegetable oil, and hot water in a separate bowl. Stir thoroughly.
- Mix the flour and yeast. Sift the mixture.
- Gradually add the sugar to the whipped whites. Then add the yolk mixture. Stir carefully.
- Add the flour mixture and poppyseeds. Mix thoroughly. Transfer the mixture to a baking sheet greased with dairy butter.
- Bake the sponge cake for 35 minutes.
- Cool it and cut in half horizontally.
How to Make the Hard Sauce:
- Combine the yolks, milk, sugar, and vanilla sugar.
- Boil the hard sauce and allow to cool.
- Mix the hard sauce with dairy butter and whip thoroughly.
How to Make the Cherry Jelly:
- Bring the cherry juice to a boil. Add 2 packs of cherry jelly. Stir until the jelly dissolves completely.
- Add the cherries and wait until the jelly starts to thicken.
- Pour the jelly over one of the crusts. Place the cake in the fridge.
- Grease the second crust with the prepared hard sauce.
- When the jelly has completely has set, put the crust over the hard sauce.
- Top the poppy tart with melted milk chocolate and decorate with grated chocolate.