“Meat Grinder” Cookies
Their name might suggest otherwise, but these shortbread cookies are not stuffed with meat. The trick is that the dough is put through a meat grinder, which gives the pastries a very distinctive shape. The process is so captivating that you may want to get the children to help out.
Easy to make and quick to eat, these cookies are very basic but amazingly melty and palatable. You can stack one cookie on top of another and spread some jam in between (if you are after a juicier consistency), but they taste superb even in their plain, classic form. For Ukrainians, this is the true taste of childhood. A great recipe if the idea of baking something sweet caught you by surprise – I bet you have all the ingredients at home already.
Meat Grinder Cookies
- Manual meat grinder
- 1.1 lb all-purpose flour
- 9 oz soft butter (room temperature)
- 3.5 oz sugar
- 2 eggs
- vanilla powder
- 1 lemon or orange zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
How to make Meat Grinder Cookies:
- Mix the flour, butter, sugar, and baking powder in a bowl. Keep mixing until you get crumbs.
- Add the grated lemon zest, vanilla, and eggs.
- Mix them to get a soft and smooth pastry.
- Knead into a ball and cover with plastic food wrap.
- Leave in a fridge for 30 minutes.
- Use a meat grinder with a cookie press attachment. Place a little dough inside and let it come out.
- Cut the large cookie bar into 2-inch-long bars.
- Place the cookies on a baking sheet covered with parchment .
- Preheat the oven to 350 ºF and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.