La Salée au Sucre
This sweet pastry, also known as vaudoise cream tart is a dessert champion in French-speaking Switzerland, more popular with some than even the Vully cake or the Goumoens cake because of its simplicity.
Made with sweet yeast dough and cream filling, this recipe isn’t complicated but, boy, does it satisfy that sweet tooth! Give it a try!
La Salée au Sucre
For the dough:
- 250 g flour
- 25 g butter cut into small pieces
- 150 ml milk warm
- 15 g fresh yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 300 ml cream
- Begin preparing the dough by proofing the yeast first. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the yeast, milk and sugar. Leave for about 10 minutes until the yeast starts to form bubbles.
- Incorporate the butter, then add the salt and mix in the butter a little at a time.
- Knead the dough until it's smooth and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Cover with a damp kitchen cloth and place in a warm spot to rise for 1 hour.
- When the waiting time is almost over, preheat the oven to 200° C/ 390° F.
- Take the dough and roll it out into a circle slightly larger then the pan you plan to use. Line the round, 30 cm/ 12-inch tart pan with parchment paper on the bottom (you can also grease it with a little sunflower oil) and place the dough on top.
- We're going to need a raised lip around the edge of the tarte to keep the delicious cream filling inside. To do that, make sure to stretch out the edges as much as possible, to cover the sides of the pan. The dough should ideally also cover the edge of the pan. Poke holes into the bottom with a fork to prevent air pockets from forming while baking.
- For the filling, combine 2 tablespoons of sugar with the flour in a small bowl and sprinkle it evenly over the dough (just the bottom).
- Whip 100 ml (1/2 cup) cream with the remaining sugar until thickened then pour it on the tarte, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
- Bake the tarte in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes, then pour the remaining cream on top and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes.
- Enjoy your creamy Salée au Sucre!