Turkish Kadaifi Recipe by Chef Arman Uz
Kadaifi is a very popular Turkish dessert, which has many variations in Greek, Albanian or Bosnian cuisines. It’s made with shredded phyllo pastry, butter, pistachios and walnuts, cinnamon, and spiced syrup. In other versions, custard replaces the nuts, and sometimes chocolate is used to complement the tastes.
Kadaifi can be made in a variety of ways using ingredients such almonds, pistachios, coconut, etc. Whichever method you choose, you will undoubtedly enjoy it.
Kadaifi Recipe by Chef Arman Uz
- 400 grams kataifi pastry
- 400 grams ghee clarified butter
- 250 grams almond meal (can also use almond flour instead)
- 250 grams thick cream
- 600 grams pistachios
- 1 kilogram caster sugar
- 500 millitres Water
- 500 grams glucose
- Cut the kataifi pastry into 1-2cm pieces by using a Thermomix.
- Brush a tray with ghee (or a ghee substitute).
- Spread half of the kataifi pastry pieces as the first layer then flick ghee over the kataifi pastry using a pastry brush.
- Blend the almond meal and the cream into a smooth paste, then spread on top of kadaifi using a brush.
- Add roughly chopped pistachio pieces on top of the almond cream mix.
- Spread the rest of the kadaifi pieces on top of to cover the pistachios, then flick ghee all over again.
- Using another tray press the layers of kadaifi firmly.
- Bake in 180 Celsius (356 F) around 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Meantime , mix the sugar, water, glucose, and bring to boil for 10 minutes.
- Pour boiling syrup on top of warm kadaifi by using a ladle. Rest for 4 hours before service.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!