Broccoli & Stilton Soup Recipe
I made this soup on the request of my girlfriend for our 1 year anniversary. She is English and said she hadn’t had it since living in the UK, 13 years ago.
All I knew was that it was a broccoli & Stilton soup she wanted. I improvised and she loved it! Not sure if I was true to tradition but that really doesn’t matter. Food is about enjoyment and we both enjoyed it immensely. Hope you do too. Happy anniversary Julie!
Broccoli & Stilton Soup
- 1.5 liter chicken stock or vegetable stock, if using store bought liquid stock, use the low salt variety
- 2 medium heads of broccoli roughly chopped, (do not use the main stalk)
- 2 brown onions
- 3 clove garlic
- 35 grams butter
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 125 grams Stilton cheese or your own favorite blue cheese
- 300 milliliters cream fresh
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add the olive oil & onion.
- Sauté about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté a further 3-5 minutes (do not let the onion or garlic color, you only want to soften it).
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add the broccoli and cream.
- Return to the boil.
- Reduce to a slow rolling boil
- Add half of the cheese
- Cook like this uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Once the broccoli is soft, remove the pot from the heat and blend using a stick blender or other blender.
- Strain the soup through a medium grade strainer, pushing it through with a spoon (this step is optional but it will make a smoother soup).
- Return the soup to the pot and place it over a low flame.
- Taste the soup for cheese strength and add more if desired (I added all the 125 grams).
- Taste the soup for seasoning and adjust as desired.
- Optionally garnish with some crumbled cheese if you have some left. Enjoy!
- Note: The recipe serves 6 as a first course, or 4 as a main.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!