Broas de Mel
During Christmas in Portugal, Broas de Mel cookies become one of the main culinary highlights. Originally from Madeira, they are a sweet combination of molasses, honey, flour and a mix of festive spices like nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.
The warm aroma of freshly baked Broas de Mel will fill the house with Christmas spirit! Enjoy this traditional broas de mel recipe!
Broas de Mel
- 6 ¾ cups flour
- 2 ¾ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup honey or molasses
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/2 lemon zested
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup lard or butter
- almonds optional
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients except the eggs and the molasses together until you get a homogenous mixture.
- Create a space in the middle of the mixture and add in the eggs and honey and fold the dough inwards, kneading until it becomes smooth and no longer sticks to the bowl.
- Cover with a plastic film and place in the fridge for 24 hours to rest.
- After resting, take the dough out of the fridge and roll into medium-sized balls. Place them on parchment paper-lined tray and, if you want, you can press an almond on top of each cookie.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 150ºC or 300ºF for 30 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar, or enjoy as is!