Wood-Grilled Broccoli with Garlic Chips
This recipe calls for broccoli di ciccio, which is an Italian small to mid-sized broccoli variety, but it also works with other types of broccoli. Enjoy!
Wood Grilled Broccoli Di Ciccio
- 1 pound broccoli di ciccio
- olive oil in a spray bottle
- sea salt fine, to taste
- 1 clove garlic small, minced fine
- 1/2 Thai chili sliced into thin rings
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons garum or best quality fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic large, peeled
- 2 cups frying oil we prefer rice bran oil
- Warm the olive oil and garlic in a small pan over medium heat.
- Add the Thai chili.
- Let it simmer for 30 seconds.
- Add lemon juice, garum and sugar.
- Whisk together, and reserve.
- Thinly slice the peeled garlic carefully with a sharp knife or a mandolin (it’s very important that the garlic is sliced the same thickness).
- Soak the sliced garlic in ice water for 5 minutes.
- Drain the garlic and pat dry on paper towels.
- Put the garlic into a small sauce pan with the frying oil and slowly bring up to a simmer from cold.
- Strain the garlic from the oil just as it begins to brown.
- Drain the garlic chips on paper towels.
- Tip 1: Save Garlic oil for future recipes.
- Tip 2: Garlic can be bitter if it is fried too dark, be sure you strain it from the oil right as it begins to brown to stop the cooking process.
- Pre-Heat your grill. The broccoli will cook best over a medium-high heat.
- Toss the Broccoli Di Ciccio in a medium mixing bowl with sea salt, and mist it with just enough olive oil to coat.
- Transfer the broccoli to a perforated wok and cook over high heat till browned but still crunchy (You may want to cook the broccoli in 2 batches)
- Toss the broccoli in garum vinaigrette.
- Place the grilled and dressed broccoli on a serving platter.
- Garnish with garlic chips.
- Perforated Wok – 12-14” (available at Williams- Sonoma)
- Wood or charcoal fired grill