Wagyu Oxtail w/ Heirloom Carrots, Pickles & Nasturtium
Wagyu Oxtail, Heirloom Carrots, Pickles, Nasturtium
- 2 kilograms oxtail
- 300 milliliters red wine
- 1/2 carrot
- 1/2 onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 leek
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 2 clove garlic
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 20 black peppercorns
- 250 milliliters madeira
- 150 milliliters port
- 3 liters chicken stock
- 1 liter veal stock
- 500 grams purple carrots
- 50 grams butter
- 1 star anise
- 1 orange juice only
PICKLED BABY CARROTS
- 1 bunch red baby heirloom carrots
- 1 bunch yellow baby heirloom carrots
- 1 bunch orange baby carrots
- 500 milliliters water
- 250 milliliters white wine vinegar
- 240 grams sugar
- 2 cloves
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- Nasturtium leaves and flowers
Braised Wagyu Oxtail
- Marinate the oxtail in the red wine for at least 12 hours. Keep turning every couple of hours.
- Drain the oxtail and reserve the wine.
- Peel the vegetables and, keeping it whole, caramelize in olive oil.
- Add the star anise and tomatoes, mix well and cook until most of the moisture is gone from the tomato and it begins to thicken. Keep stirring.
- Add the port and Madeira and reduce by half.
- Add the wine from the marinade and reduce by half.
- Add the oxtail and then both the stocks. Bring to the boil, cover with baking paper and then tin foil and simmer for approx 3-4 hours on a low heat or place in an oven at 140°C for approximately the same time. The meat is cooked when it pulls easily away from the bones.
- Allow the cooked oxtail to cool a little in the stock and then remove and drain it. Pick off all the meat while still warm, taking care to keep the pieces as long as possible. Take care to remove the sinew and fat. And reserve until needed in a little of the stock
- Pass the sauce through a fine seive and reduce on a medium heat until the consistency of a nice sauce.
- Re-heat the picked meat in the sauce.
- Finely slice the carrots.
- Cook the carrots in the butter over a low heat for approx 5 mins with the star anise until beginning to go soft.
- Add the orange juice and then just cover with water. Cover with a piece of baking paper and cook at a steady simmer until the carrots are fully cooked (approx 10-15 mins).
- Drain the carrots, remove the star anise and reserve the liquid.
- Place the carrots in a blender and add a knob of butter. Season and blend until smooth. Add a little of the cooking liquid to get the mix going but you wont need it all. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the puree is smooth remove it from the blender and pass through a fine sieve. Chill the mix and reserve until needed.
Pickled Baby Carrots
- Peel the carrots, retaining the natural shape. Keep the red ones separate.
- Place all the ingredients for the brine into a pot and bring to the boil.
- Pour the boiling brine over the carrots and allow them to cool.
- Place into sealed containers and allow to pickle for at least 3 days before using. They will last for up to three months in the liquid at least.
- Warm the carrots up in a little of the pickling liquid.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!