Tomato Powder Recipe
Making tomato powder or tomato dust is perhaps the simplest of recipes as you only need just one ingredient – tomatoes
Homemade tomato powder is a handy thing to have around the kitchen and it just tastes so much better than anything you can buy at the grocery store.
I use tomato powder as simple decoration sprinkled on the rim of plates, or dust a little on the mascarpone that I like to top a creamy pasta with, or to sprinkle on a savory souffle.
Enjoy the recipe below!
- tomato peel usually discarded when peeling tomatoes
How to make tomato powder from skins at home
- Gather the tomato skins.
- Spread out the tomato peels on a baking paper lined sheet pan, or rack and dry in an oven at 80 C (175 F) for approximately 2 hours, until the tomato skins are completely dry and crisp.
- Place the crisp tomato peel into a coffee grinder or blender and turn it into a fine dust.
- Store in a dry shaker for usage anytime when needed.
- The same process can be applied to slivers of beetroot or carrots, citrus peel (peel only, all the white pith needs to be removed) and slivers of sweet potatoes to achieve different flavors and colors.