Swedish Pytt I Panna
The Swedish name for it means “small pieces in a pan”, and that is literally what this dish is. Small pieces of potato, onion, and sausage are all fried together in one pan, topped with a fried egg, and served with a side of pickles and beetroot.
This dish is easy and quick to prepare. It is also known as a leftover dish, which is probably why it is so popular with families with kids: you can quickly throw together a tasty meal with the leftovers from yesterday’s dinner.
Swedish Pytt I Panna/ Mixed Mushroom
- 150 g mushrooms
- 1 medium size yellow onion
- ½ medium size red onion
- 800 g potatoes
- 400 g pork sirloin
- ½ dl finely chopped chives
- ⅓ dl finely chopped parsley
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 pinches of black pepper
- 1 pinch of white pepper
- 1 tbsp whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp butter for frying
- Pickled red beets and fried eggs for serving
How to make Mixed mushroom Pyttipanna:
- Peel and dice the potato into 1 cm cubes and boil until softened but firm, and let drain.
- Clean and chop the mushrooms and onions into 1 cm pieces and pan-fry until golden and slight crispy and set aside.
- Cut the meat in to 1 cm pieces and stir-fry on high heat until golden and set aside.
- Repeat by pan-frying the potato cubes on high heat until golden.
- Combine potatoes, mushrooms, meat and onions and add the herbs, salt and pepper after taste.
- Serve with pickled red beets and fried eggs.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!