Romanian Tomato Paste Cake (Prajitura cu Bulion)
This is a popular traditional Romanian dessert which contains a special and rather surprising ingredient: tomato purée! 🍅 Between the cake layers there is a rich cream of coconut and lemon, and apricot or plum jam.
After the layers have cooled completely, you can add the filling of your choice. We have selected two delicious options for you: white coconut pastry cream or the cream with Turkish delight. Our favorite is the white pastry cream.
Romanian Tomato Paste Cake
FOR THE LAYERS:
- 12 tbsp Oil
- 6 tbsp Powdered sugar
- 12 tbsp Tomato juice
- 1 tsp Ammonium
- 450 gr Flour content
CREAM WITH TURKISH DELIGHT:
- 700 gr Turkish Delight
- 2 Lemons
- 1 pack Butter 82% fat
- 1 l Milk
- 5 tbsp Sugar
- 250 gr Butter 82% fat
- 100 gr Coconut
- 200 gr Semolina
- 400 gr Apricot jam
How to Make the Romanian Tomato Juice Cake:
- For the layers, mix the sugar, the oil and the tomato juice until you get a frothy cream, then add the flour mixed with the salt.
- When you have an elastic dough, cut it into four equal pieces and roll each piece out. Put it on the back of a baking tray powdered with flour. Bake for about 7 minutes in an oven preheated to 180 °C.
How to Make Cream with Turkish Delight:
- Mash together the Turkish delight and the 2 lemons.
- Mix the foamed butter with the Turkish delight and the lemon.
- Cover the four layers with the prepared cream and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
How to Make Pumpkin Filling:
- Peel the pumpkin, grate it and cook it well, adding sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to taste.
- Leave to cool, then spread the pumpkin filling over the layers, powder the cake and leave to cool.
How to Make White Pastry Cream:
- Mix the milk and sugar, bring to the boil, and add the lemon peel.
- When it reaches boiling point, add the semolina, stirring constantly.
- After boiling, while the cream is warm, add the butter and the lemon juice and mix.
- When it cools down completely, add the coconut and mix well.
How to Do the Assembling and Filling:
- Put the first layer in a tray and cover with 1/2 of the cream.
- Next, add the second layer and spread with the jam.
- Continue with the next layer, the rest of the cream, and the final sheet.
- Put the cake in the fridge. Next day, slice and serve.