- 2 litre organic milk(2% or whole)
- 1 cup yogurt(2% or full fat)
Maria Loi’s Greek Yogurt Recipe
- Heat 1 liter of milk to 195 degrees Fahrenheit. You will need a thermometer, but if you do not have one, turn off the heat just before the milk boils (just as it begins to simmer).
- Remove the pot from the heat and wait until the temperature drops to 110 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can try my grandmother’s old trick to get the right temperature: keep your pinky in the milk and count quickly to 20; if your pinky is burning at 20, let the milk cool off a bit longer.
- Dilute 1 cup of yogurt in the lukewarm milk and stir.
- Cover the pot with a blanket to maintain the temperature and keep warm for at least 6 hours. Note that you should not move or shake the pot during this process.
- Move the yogurt from the warmth to the refrigerator.
- Leave the yogurt for 24 hours in the refrigerator without moving, and your yogurt will be ready to enjoy. It will be good for ten days refrigerated.
How To Make an Authentic Greek Yogurt at Home
You can eat the yogurt like this, but if you want to make my grandmother’s authentic recipe, you need to take one more step:
- Strain the yogurt in cheesecloth and hang to drain for several hours, until the draining stops. This is the real Loi Yogurt that my grandmother used to make – all the whey is removed. This process adds another week of life to your yogurt.
Common mistakes to avoid when preparing a Greek Yogurt
- Make sure you boil and cool the milk at the right temperature.
- Don’t be anxious to move the yogurt until it’s ready.
- Use high quality milk with no added water, and do not use skim milk.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
- Greek yogurt is delicious to eat with honey and walnuts.
- You can cook some tasty barbecue carrots with Greek yogurt.