6 lbs suckling pig(can be ordered in advanced from a good butcher or online)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
to taste fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 Spanish onion
1 tbs Thyme
1 tbs rosemary
1 tbs garlic powder
A suckling pig is a pig that is no older than 1 month and weigh no more than 8 lbs.
How to Make Roasted Suckling Pig:
- Season the pig with salt and pepper, rosemary, thyme, and garlic powder on the inside and out.
- Wrap the ears in aluminium foil to prevent burning.
- Place the pig in a large roasting pan and baste with butter and olive oil inside and out.
- Place in the oven and roast, basting often with the pan drippings, about 2 to 3 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Halfway through cooking, add the carrots, potatoes, and onion to the roasting pan and remove the foil from the ears.
- Remove the piglet from oven, check the meat, making sure the juices run clear and the skin is crispy.
- Place the pig on a platter and serve.
- With each portion, serve some of the crispy skin.
- The eyeballs and brains are especially good served atop crusty bread.