1 cup white sugar(divided) use 1/2 cup now then 1/2 cup for caramel later
1 can sweetned condensed milk
2 can Evaporated Milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
Flan de leche is possibly one of the most recognized Cuban desserts in the world. It is exquisite and you definitely need to give it a try. It is prepared either plain or with added flavors such as coconut, pineapple, etc.
How to Make Cuban Flan:
- In a flan pot or 2 quart pot with a tight fitting lid, caramelize 1/2 cup sugar over a medium heat, stirring constantly until it has melted and is amber in color.
- Remove from the stove and move caramel around the sides of pot, half way up the sides.
- Mix the eggs with another 1/2 cup sugar, milk, and vanilla and mix well. (I do this with a blender but you don’t have to).
- Place the egg mixture in the flan pot, and cover with the lid, or in the 2 quart pot, and cover with tightly fitting aluminum foil and place the lid on top.
- Place the pot in another pot big enough to hold it and fill with about 1 1/2 inch of water.
- Bake at 350° F for at least 1 hour.
- To check the flan is done, remove the lid and stick a kitchen knife into the center of the flan. If it comes out clean, it’s done.
- Remove the pot from the water pot and cool completely.
- Once cooled, remove the lid/foil and place a dish or plate bigger than the top of the pot on top. Make sure the plate has a small lip as the caramel will run out otherwise.
- Place one hand on the bottom of the pot and one hand on the top of the plate and turn upside down.
- Serve or place in the refrigerator, covered, until you are ready to serve.