- 1 pound savoy cabbageor green cabbage
- ¹%₃ cup Olive Oilor more to taste
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustardor more to taste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegaror white wine vinegar, or more to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small red onionhalved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries
Dress the sweet earthiness of wheat berries with a sharp counterpoint and you get a hearty salad with memorable flavors.
How to Make it:
- Trim the cabbage and grate it by hand or in a food processor. You should have about 4 cups.
- Whisk the oil, mustard, and vinegar together in a large bowl.
- Add a little salt (mustard can be quite salty, so go easy) and a lot of pepper.
- Separate the onion slices into the dressing and stir until coated.
- Add the cabbage and wheat berries to the mixture and toss well. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more oil, mustard, or vinegar. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate for up to a day.
Ways to Vary Wheat Berry Salad with Cabbage and Mustard:
- Substitute prepared or grated fresh horseradish for the mustard.
- Add 1 cup sliced celery.
- Add 2 cups chopped crisp apples.
- Add 2 cups cooked or canned cannellini beans, drained but still moist
Photo credit: ©Zac and Buj