1 watermelonsugar baby, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 quarts tomatoesmultiple varieties
8 Shishito Peppers
20 leaves Basilfresh, torn
10 leaves mintfresh, chiffonade
extra virgin olive oilas needed
Saltkosher, to taste
black pepperto taste, freshly ground
Executive Chef Matt Bolus combines blistered Shishito peppers and cherry tomatoes with watermelon and basil for a refreshing summer salad.
Matt Bolus is the Executive Chef of the 404 Kitchen, an award-winning restaurant in Nashville, TN.
How to Make Watermelon and Tomato Salad:
- In a hot pan, carefully blister half the cherry tomatoes and shishito peppers.
- Cut the remaining cherry tomatoes in half.
- Combine the watermelon and all the cherry tomatoes in a large bowl. Slice the shishito peppers into quarter-inch thick strips and add to the tomatoes and watermelon.
- Drizzle all the ingredients with olive oil until everything is lightly coated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add all of the basil and mint to the salad and toss to incorporate evenly.
- Divide equally among 4 bowls.