- 3 vanilla beans
- 500 millilitres Milk2 cups
- 270 grams whipping cream1 cup 1 1/3 tbsp / 9 fl oz
- 200 grams Egg Yolks3/4 cup / 7 oz
- 100 grams granulated sugar1/2 cup / 3 1/2 oz
- 200 grams granulated sugar1 cup / 7 oz
- 60 millilitres glucose¼ cup / 2 fl oz
- 40 millilitres Water2 2/3 tablespoons / 1 1/3 fl oz
- 150 grams egg whites2/3 cup / 5 ½ fl oz
- 50 grams granulated sugar¼ cup / 1 ¾ oz
- Extra sugar for the molds
- Split the vanilla beans lengthwise and scrape out the seeds using the tip of a knife.
- Bring the milk and cream to a boil in a saucepan, then add the vanilla beans and seeds.
- Whisk the yolks and sugar until pale, then pour the boiling liquid over the egg mixture and stir constantly over a low heat in a saucepan until it coats the back of a spoon (178°F/81°C).
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve and let cool.
- Make a caramel with the sugar, glucose, and water, then pour onto a silicone mat to cool down.
- As soon as the caramel has hardened, process to a powder in a food processor.
- Using a small sieve or tea strainer, sift the caramel powder onto templates 2–2 1/3 in. (5–6 cm) in diameter.
- Place in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for a few seconds to melt the caramel and form the disks.
- Butter eight 2–2 1/3 in. (5–6 cm) metal rings and sprinkle them with the extra sugar.
- Whisk the egg whites with the pinch of salt, then whisk in the sugar.
- Coat the inside of the circles thickly with the egg-white mixture, starting with the base and then the sides.
- Create a well in the center and delicately place a spoonful of egg custard in it.
- Cover with more egg white, smoothing it over with a spatula. Bake at 195°F (90°C) for 10 minutes.
- When the soft meringues are cooked, remove from the oven and let rest for 1 minute.
To Assemble and Serve
- Pour a little custard onto each plate.
- Gently unmold the soft meringues and place on top of the custard.
- Lay a disk of caramel on top.