12 pieces short sausages
2.2 lb onions
25.4 oz vinegar
17 oz Water
3 tsp Salt
3 tsp Sugar
20 black peppecorns
10 Allspice Berries
2 Bay Leaves
4 cloves of garlic
1 fresh jalapeño pepper
Utopenci translates, literally, to “drowned men.” Not exactly something you want to enjoy with your pint! However, this dish got it’s name because these sausages are filled with spices and then left to sit in a salty, sweet brine for a few weeks… The result is delicious, and can be found all over pubs in Czech Republic!
The fillling for these sausage is often onions, garlic and herbs, but sometimes contains allspice and garlic.
- Mix vinegar with water. Add all spices (except garlic) and bring to a boil. Cool the brine.
- Peel and slice lengthwise in half each sausage.
- Cut onions in half, then thick slice them.
- Arrange layers – onions, sausage, onions, sausage etc, in 1-gallon glass jar until the jar is 3/4 full. Add garlic cloves. Adjust the lid.
- Pour cold brine over sausage and onion layers.
- Place in a cold area for 1-2 weeks.
- Serve with bread and beer.