- 3lt whey
- 1lt Cream
- 300 g mint leaves
- 200 g melissa leaves
- 500 g grape seed oil
- 50 g puppy seeds
- 300 g Water
- 200 g red wine vinegar
- 20 g Salt
- 50 g Sugar
- 8 pieces tonka beans
- 300 g red and pink beet roots
- 2 x 1kg Trout
- fleur de sel
- Olive Oil
- 10 plants galinsoga
- 10 leaves small nasturtium leaves
This is an amazing dish served at Hiša Franko last season created by Head Chef Ana Roš called Trout, Whey, Poppy seeds, Beetroot, Salad of Fallopia Japonica, Sorrel and Wild Watercress.
Check out our interview with Chef Ana Roš.
How to Make Whey Sauce:
- Mix the whey and cream in a pot and reduce in medium low heat, stir once in a while so the bottom doesn’t burn and the mixture doesn’t boil. Important to not boil it so the reduction doesn’t take a deep brown color.
- Keep reducing until the sugars star to caramelize. You will notice it once the reduce whey has a light brown color, sweet flavor and creamy texture.
How to Make Mint Oil:
- Blend all ingredients in the thermomix at 70° for 8 minutes.
- Put the mixture in a metalic bowl and do inverted bain marie. Once the mixture is cold, strain it through a cheese cloth.
How to Make Poppy Seeds:
In a nonstick pan toast the poppy seeds in a medium-low heat.
How to Make Pickled Beetroot:
- Mix all ingredients except the beetroot. Bring to boil, let the mixture to cool down.
- While the pickled base cools down, slice the beetroot in mandolin in slices of 0.1 mm.
- Place the beetroot in a glass jar together with the pickled mixture. Use after 2 days.
How to Make Trout:
- Fish the trout 12 hours prior to service
- Portion the trout fillets in portions of 120gr.
- Place the trout in a tray with olive oil and fleur de sel in the button.
- Cook the trout skin side up under the salamander for a minute. The trout is still red inside but cooked from outside.
- Remove the skin.
How to Make the Plating:
- Heat the whey, place the trout on it, season it with salt and poppy seeds.
- Put some drops of mint oil, the beetroots galisoga and nasturtium.
Photo credit: Suzan Gabrijan
Photo credit: Without a Compass