For the granite
- 2 lemons1 lemon for zest
- 75 millilitres Water
- 60 grams granulated sugar
- 1 fluid ounce mango liquerparadise is a rum based mango liquer
- 1 fluid ounce vodka lemon
- 3 fluid ounce pineapple juicefreshly pressed, strained
- 1/2 fluid ounce Malibuor other coconut liquer
This cocktail is purely based on what was in my bar on a slow, hot and humid Sunday afternoon. The sort of day when lazing around the house is really all you want to do. A frozen Margarita would have been nice. But while I was looking for the Tequila, this bottle of “Paradise” which had been in my bar for at least a year “fell” into my lab. The result of the following tasting session is this drink.
For the Granite
- In a sauce pan, bring the water and sugar to boil, stirring frequently to ensure the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and simmer for 20 seconds, then pour in a shallow container and freeze immediately.
To built the drink
- Place 3-4 cubes of ice in a shaker and add all alcoholic ingredients as well as the pineapple juice to it. Close shaker firmly and shake well.
- Strain into the serving glass.
- Shave the granite into a small spoon and serve immediately while dropping the shaved, frozen granite into the drink just as you serve it to the guests.
Note: You may serve this drink as a full glass version, served in a champagne glass with a full scoop of the lemon granite or as shown in the picture in a small liqueur glass.