125 g dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons chocolate powder
75 g wheat flour
50 ml Milk
50 g margarinemelted
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
For the filling:
200 ml Cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
150 g dark chocolate
75 g powdered sugar
125 g margarinemelted
Sugar powderto decorate
This recipe can appear complex. In fact, anyone can make a great yule log, as long as they are organized. You can get creative with espresso or liqueur icings, or perhaps a Nutella filling.
How to Make Tronco de Natal:
- Preheat the oven to 180° C.
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites.
- Beat the egg whites and set aside in the refrigerator.
- In an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks at medium speed along with the brown sugar until you get a very creamy mixture.
- Add the milk, softened margarine, and chocolate powder and mix for about 3 to 4 minutes until well incorporated.
- Reduce to minimum speed, add the flour mixed with the baking powder, and beat until creamy and homogeneous.
- Finally, carefully fold in the egg whites with a spatula.
- Line a tray (36 x 30 centimeters) with butter and parchment paper and spread the dough on top with a spatula.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes until slightly brown (time depends on the oven).
- When cooked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down a little. Place a cloth over the cake and turn out. Remove the tray and carefully peel off the parchment paper. Roll the cake carefully from side to side in a cloth and set aside.
How to Make the Filling:
- In a bowl, beat the cream along with the powdered sugar and vanilla essence until firm.
- Unroll the cake, cut the edges with a knife and spread the cream with a spatula.
- Then roll it up slowly again, removing the cloth as you roll it up.
For the Icing:
- Put the broken chocolate in a bowl and microwave.
- In an electric mixer, beat the powdered sugar with the softened margarine at medium speed until you get a creamy and homogeneous mixture.
- Add the melted chocolate and mix for about 2 to 3 minutes until it is a very creamy mixture.
- Diagonally cut a slice of the cake and place it next to the pie.
- With a spatula, cover the cake with the chocolate cream and use a fork to give the icing a tree bark effect.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.