17 ounces/ 500 grams Feta cheese
9 ounces/ 250 grams fresh anthotiroor ricotta
2 tablespoons fresh chopped mintor 1 tablespoon dry
2 tablespoons fresh chopped dillor 1 tablespoon dry
freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon Olive Oilplus more for brushing
12 phyllo sheetsdefrosted
white sesame seedsor black sesame seeds optional
Tiropita, otherwise known as ‘Greek cheese pie’, is popular throughout Greece and is eaten for breakfast or as a mid-day snack. Although this dish is relatively easy to make, it does take some patience as you will be working with pyhllo dough. To prepare, simply crumble the feta cheese (and mix it with other kinds of cheese if desired) and combine with an egg. Wrap the whole thing in phyllo pastry, brush it with olive oil or melted butter, and bake until crispy and golden!
How to Make Traditional Tiropita, Greek Cheese Pie:
- Preheat oven at 350 F (180 C)
- Grease (with olive oil) a 9X13 inch (25X35 cm)casserole dish or pan
- In a large bowl smash the feta and anthotiro with a fork.
- Add the mint, dill and pepper and mix.
- In a small bowl beat the eggs and add them to the cheese mixture along with one tablespoon olive oil. Mix well.
- Prepare your working area so that you have space to spread the phyllo.
- Remove your first phyllo sheet carefully and spread it on the bottom of the pan. If it is too big you can scrunch it to fit. Brush with olive oil. I often use an olive oil spray bottle instead.
- Place the second phyllo on top of the first phyllo and brush with olive oil and continue until you have spread 6 sheets of phyllo.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the phyllo making sure it is spread evenly.
- Cover with 5-6 more phyllo sheets repeating the same process (brushing with olive oil). Make sure that you do not scrunch the final 2-3 phyllo sheets.
- Brush the top layer with olive oil and score. Cut only through the phyllo (not all the way down).
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, splash a bit of water on top with your fingers and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. Lift side slightly to make sure the bottom is baked. Place on the bottom of the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes and cut in pieces.
- Keep in refrigerator. You may reheat it at about 280 degrees or you can eat it at room temperature.