160 g bacon
60 g pork fat
4 slices bread
40 ml Olive Oil
1 string Parsley
5 hot peppers
250 g Peppers
250 g tomatoes
6 garlic cloves
240 g White cheese
This recipe is inspired by the cuisine of the Shopi (a regional term, used by a group of people in the Balkans).
How to Make Shopski Style Soup:
- Blanch the tomatoes and save the boiling water to use for the soup.
- Cut all the peppers into small pieces and roast them in a dry pan.
- Cut the tomatoes into small cubes and add them in the boiling water with a pinch of salt.
- Add the roasted peppers to the soup. To get all the flavor from the peppers, fill the pan with a little soup broth and then pour it back into the soup.
- In the same pan, put in the olive oil and fry the finely chopped garlic. Let it fry until it turns golden brown.
- Chop the bacon in fine pieces and add it to the garlic. Once the ingredients are cooked, put them in the boiling soup.
- In the same pan (to get all the flavor from the garlic and bacon) heat up the olive oil. Cut the bread slices into cubes and fry in the pan. Add the pork fat for extra aroma.
- Poach the eggs in the boiling soup.
- Top with the cheese and parsley.
- Serve with a slice of bread and a roasted hot pepper on the side.