- 1/2 kg Canary Beanscooked the day before
- 1/2 kg Pork Larddiced
- 1/2 kg Cooked Brown Rice
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 large Red Oniondiced
- 4 garlic clovesground
- 3 tablespoons ground yellow pepper
- Salt and pepper
Tacu Tacu is a traditional dish prepared with rice and day-old beans strong in flavor and texture, plenty to satisfy a good appetite. It is usually prepared with canary beans but this can vary from place to place. It is very easy to prepare and with a range of flavors, it is very pleasant for the first-time consumer.
How to Cook Tacu Tacu
- In a pan, brown the chopped onions and ground garlic for 20 seconds.
- Add the cooked beans (they must be from the previous day) and move gently from side to side. Let the mixture brown slightly.
- Then add the cooked rice and, using a spoon, begin to crush the mixture until the beans and rice are leveled. Integrate everything to achieve a sort of dough.
- Mix the oil and ground yellow pepper and add the dough made previously. And start shaping. Serve accompanied with a fried egg (this is considered “a lo pobre” or poor style Tacu Tacu in Peru)
If you love Peruvian food, check out our article on the top 15 Peruvian foods (recipes and photos included).
Photo credit: Luis Tamayo