1 pikeapprox. 2 lbs / 1 kg
crustless slice of white bread
5 tablespoons Oil
Salt and pepper
2 qts / 2 l Water
1 teaspoon Parsleychopped
Mustard and Sour Cream Sauce
To prepare the dish, the pike is cleaned of its scales, and the meat is cut from the bones. Then the ground meat is mixed with the vegetables, and this mixture is stuffed inside the fish. The skin is sewn together, and the pike is cooked in the oven, together with carrots, onions, and small potatoes. 10 minutes before the dish is ready, the fish is splashed with white wine so that the flavors mix. Served with lemon wedges and oven-baked vegetables, it represents a light main dish for Christmas.
How to Make Stuffed Baked Pike:
- Clean and wash the pike and remove its head.
- Starting from the head, skin it carefully.
- If any meat sticks to the skin, scrape it off with a knife.
- Salt the skin and leave aside.
- Debone the fish and mix the milk (or water), moistened bread, and the finely chopped and oil fried onion.
- Add salt, pepper, a teaspoon of chopped parsley, and two beaten eggs to the mixture.
- Mix well and stuff the pike skin (do not overstuff or it may burst while boiling).
- Make small balls from the remaining mixture.
- Take a pot and put a whole onion, the thinly sliced carrot and beet, as well as the bones into it.
- Arrange the stuffed fish in the baking dish.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil and set in the oven to bake.
- Every now and then, baste with the oil in the dish.
- When ready, remove from the baking dish, arrange on a long platter, and after it has cooled off, slice into finger thick slices and put them all together to give the illusion of a whole.
- Garnish with slices of hard boiled egg.
- Serve with mustard and sour cream sauce.