1/2 cup polished blackor white lentil
1-1/2 cups long grain rice
1 table spoon gheeor oil
1/2 tsp. black mustard seeds
1 – 2 green chilieschopped
1 medium onionchopped
2 large potatoesboiled
1/2 tsp. chana dal
1 curry whole leaves
Turmeric powder and salt
How to Make Dosa Batter:
- Soak the rice and urad dal in separate bowls for 4-6 hours. Strain.
- Process the rice and urad dal mixture in a food processor until it has the consistency of pancake batter; add water gradually to achieve the right consistency. Salt to taste.
- Cover the mixture and leave to ferment for 6-8 hours in summer and up to 12 hours in winter.
How to Make Masala Dosa Filling:
- Grease the pan with oil or ghee and add the chana dal and mustard.
- Shake the mixture over the heat until the color turns golden brown.
- Chop the green chilis, onions, and add curry leaves to the mixture.
- Sprinkle in turmeric powder and salt for taste. Stir.
- Boil the potatoes and chop to small chunks; add them to the mixture.
- Stir the mixture over a medium heat for 10 minutes then let it to cool down.
- Now you have your filling ready.
How to Make the Masala Dosa:
- Pour a small quantity of the fermented batter into a greased pan after checking the pan heat.
- Try forming a circle with the batter.
- Brush ghee (or regular butter) on the frying dosa and place the filling near the center.
- Lightly lift the edges of the dosa.
- Roll the dosa from the edge to wrap the filling in, then remove from the pan.
- Wipe the pan and then pour in the next dosa.
How to Serve it:
Traditionally, dosa is served with a garnish consisting of grated coconut, a pinch of turmeric powder, coriander leaves, and lemon juice and it is suitable for breakfast and dinner.