About 7 oz / 200 g salted herring filetsherring a la Matias
1 large onion
1 cup sour cream
Herrings are very popular in Poland at any time of the year. No wonder they made their way to the Christmas Eve meat-free table.
How to Make Śledź w Śmietanie:
- If using herring filets in salt brine (herring a la Matias), they have to be soaked in water to remove the excess salt.
- Place the herring filets in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let soak for at least one hour.
- In the meantime, cut the onion in half and thinly slice each half (or use a mandoline for even slices).
- Place the slices in a strainer and run a pot of freshly boiled water through the onions to slightly soften them and take away the sharpness.
- Drain the herrings and pat dry. Cut into bite size pieces. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Once the onions have cooled, shred the apple and add both to the fish.
- Add the sour cream immediately to prevent the apple from turning brown.
- Add pepper and mix well.
- Cover and cool in the fridge for at least an hour.
Note: When ready to serve, boil peeled potatoes. Place the hot potatoes on a plate and top with the cold fish mixture. Enjoy!