8-9 oz herringsalt fillets
1 onionsthinly sliced
1 cup Vegetable Oilsunflower oil to cover the fish
3 allspice seeds
1/4 tsp Ground Pepperfreshly ground if possible
1/2 cup Parsleychopped
How to Make Śledź W Oleju:
- Soak herring in cold water for at least an hour. If very salty, repeat, changing the water each time. Slice drained herring into bite-size pieces. Drain the herring and set on paper towels to dry a bit.
- Cut the onion in half and slice thinly. Place in a bowl.
- Add the oil, pepper, the spices and chopped parsley.
- Slice drained herring into bite-size pieces.Add to the bowl.
- Mix and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Note: Salted herring, called “herring a la Matias”, works best. Serve with hearty rye bread. Store in the fridge for a couple of weeks, if needed.