8-9 oz herring
1 onionsthinly sliced
1 cup Vegetable Oil
1/4 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 tsp Ground Pepperfreshly ground if possible
1/2 cup Parsleychopped
How to Make Śledź W Oleju:
- Drain the herring and set on paper towels to dry a bit.
- Cut the onion in half and slice thinly. Place in a bowl.
- Add the oil, sugar, pepper, and chopped parsley.
- Slice the herring at an angle into about 1 inch strips. Add to the bowl.
- Mix and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Note: Salted herring, called “herring a la Matias”, works best. Serve with hearty rye bread. Store in the fridge for a couple of weeks, if needed.