- 1 pound Kumato® tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 19 ounce piece sushi grade Ahi tuna
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flat lead parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh chives finely sliced
- pinch red thai chill finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh garlic puréed
- Kosher Salt
- freshly ground black peppercorns to taste
This isn’t your typical tuna salad. Freshly seared tuna and dressed Kumato® tomatoes come together for a light and flavorful salad.
- Cut each tomato into quarters and place on a platter with cut sides up.
- Sprinkle evenly with salt and set aside.
- Preheat a large pan to medium heat.
- Pat tuna steak dry with a paper towel then season with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to pan and add tuna, gently pressing so the entire surface touches. Sear for 2 minutes.
- Using a thin offset spatula, very gently flip the tuna, pressing down gently and searing for another 2 minutes.
- When done, transfer tuna to a lipped plate. Pour orange juice and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over the entire steak. Flip occasionally and allow to cool to room temperature, about 8 minutes. Reserve juices.
- In a small bowl combine parsley, chives, thai child, garlic, and remaining extra virgin olive oil. Pour reserved juices into the bowl and mix.
- Using a sharp knife, cut steak against the grain into long strips about 1″ wide. Using your hands, gently pull apart at its natural grain lines into chunks the size of a strawberry.
- Arrange tomatoes on a platter and garnish with red onion.
- Place the steak pieces around the tomatoes and spoon dressing over top.
Serves 4 sides or 2 main salads