- 8 scallops U-10
- 1 tablespoon oil blend(60% canola/40% olive oil)
Carrot Apple Puree
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Onionsmall dice
- 1 gala applecored, peeled and diced
- 1 pound heirloom carrots
- 1 spring Thymepeeled and diced
- 1 quart Water
- salt to taste
- 4 ounce champagne vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Salt
- 1 carrotpeeled and sliced with a mandolin
- Pre-heat a sauce pot over medium heat, add the oil, then the onion, apple, carrot and thyme.
- Sweat until vegetables are soft, add water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the contents of the pot to a blender.
- Puree, adjust seasoning.
- Gently bring Champagne vinegar, sugar and salt up to just boiling, add carrots and remove from heat.
- Allow carrots to cool in the pickling liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate, ideally for 24 hours before using.
- Pre-heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat and add the 1 tbsp blended oil.
- Season scallops with sea salt, then add to pan.
- Caramelize scallop well, turn over and remove from heat.
- Let rest for 2 minutes.
- Use the puree as a base and top with seared scallops and pickled carrots.