1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin
Salt & pepper
4 ounces Butter
4 ounces button mushrooms
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 cup beef stock
1 pinch dry mustard
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup sour cream
6 ounces White Wineoptional
When we need a quick weeknight dinner, famous Russian Beef Stroganoff is one of our go-tos. It’s so easy and so flavorful! Beef stroganoff is a very famous dish outside of Russia, often served at restaurants with no connection to its home country. There are now multiple recipes for this sautéed meat dish, although most of them include two primary ingredients: beef and sour cream.
The recipe can be as simple as sautéing stripes of soft beef in butter and later adding sour cream, or more complex by adding onions, mushrooms, and other ingredients to the pan. Just make sure to take your time and let the beef get thoroughly soaked in the mixture of juices and spices. Ah, it’s mouthwatering to even think about it!
- Season beef tenderloin strips with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in butter until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for about 2 minutes or until collapsed.
- Add the reserved beef strips and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the beef stock, dry mustard, and tomato paste until well blended and pour into the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer on low for no more than 15 minutes (or until the beef is to your liking).
- Temper the sour cream with a few ladles of the hot cooking liquid. If using wine, add it to the sour cream. Return the tempered mixture to the pan and heat through until thickened.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve with pan-fried potatoes, sliced pickles, and more sour cream on the side.