1⁄2 c sour creamroom temp
1 t boiling water
1 pack dry yeast
1 stick Butterroom temperature
2 c Flour
2 Egg Yolks
one Splash vanilla
1 lb. ground walnuts
1 1/4 C Sugar
2 Tbsp Butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 C Milk
3 egg whitesleft over from dough (save 1 egg white to brush on top of rolls before baking)
1/2 lb poppyseed
1/2 grated apple
1/2 c Sugar
1 whipped egg white
The cookies are filled and rolled up. Rogaliki can be made with all kinds of filling: jams, nuts, butter and sugar, fruits. You can use several fillings for the same batch to make everyone in the family happy! Once baked, they are dusted with powdered sugar.
How to Make the Dough:
- Mix together the sour cream and 1 tablespoon of boiling water.
- Add the yeast and let sit.
- Beat the butter with 1⁄2 cup of flour until well blended.
- Add the sour cream mixture and blend.
- Add the yolks, one at a time.
- Add the rest of the flour (you might need to do this by hand). Knead the dough for about 10 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add some flour, otherwise leave it as it is. Too much flour, and the dough will not be flaky.
- Roll the dough into a log, then section it into 10 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball, flatten into a disc shape, place in an airtight container with wax paper between the layers, and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to 2 days.
How to Bake it:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- It is best to work with at least 3 large baking sheets lined with parchment paper. One in the oven, one cooking, one being prepared for baking.
- It is best to work with refrigerated portions of dough, so take out one disc of dough at a time, and keep the rest refrigerated.
- Spread sugar over your work surface; be generous with the sugar.
- On the sugared surface, roll each disc of dough into a circle, about 7 to 8 inches in diameter.
- Roll both sides of the dough on the sugared surface.
- Cut into 8 triangular pieces (I use a pizza cutter).
- Spread a small amount of filling onto the wide end of the triangle.
- Roll it up, starting with the wide end, ending with smaller piece wrapping around, just like a croissant. Tuck the point of the wedge underneath so the rolls don’t unroll when baking. Place the rogaliki on a baking sheet, with the end tip of the dough facing down on the sheet, and turn the ends of the rogaliki in to form a crescent. Leave space between each piece as they will rise when baking.
- Bake at 375°F until golden, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheet.
How to Make the Walnut Filling:
- Melt the butter and combine with the other ingredients.
- Whip the egg whites and add last.
How to Make the Poppy Seed Filling:
- Mix all the ingredients together.