1 cup carpor Pike Roe
3/4 cup sunflower oil
1 tablespoon pure olive oil
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juiceor lime juice
1 large shallotvery finely diced
freshly ground black pepper
A splash or two Club Sodaor Sparkling water
How to Make Romanian Style Fish Roe Salad:
- In a colander or a strainer, carefully wash the roe under cold water
- Drain and peel off the thin film around the roe. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Place the bowl with the roe over a pot or saucepan with barely simmering water. Make sure that the bowl with the roe doesn’t touch the water.
- With a wooden spoon stir the roe for about 2-3 minutes until all of it is the same light pink color.
- Let it cool for a little while.
- Pour the oil into a measuring cup.
- Keep the lemon or lime juice, and the club soda or sparkling water close to your work place.
- Begin stirring with a wooden spoon in the same bowl where you partially cooked the roe.
- Start with a teaspoon of lemon juice and after that is well mixed, add 2 tablespoons oil to stabilize the emulsification, transfer to a food processor.
- Process, alternating a teaspoon of lemon juice and a few drops of oil at a time.
- Repeat until all of the lemon juice and oil are incorporated and the mixture thickens.
- To aerate and thin out, shake the bottle with club soda and add 1 tablespoon to the food processor and process briefly.
- Then add salt, black pepper to your taste, and diced shallot.
- With the processor running, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a slow steady stream.
- Remove from the food processor and chill before serving. Keep refrigerated for not more than 2 days.