- 8-10 cups homemade chicken stockvegetable stock
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 small yellow onionpeeled and diced very fine
- 2 cups Arborio Ricefino or superfine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound fresh morelscut in half through the stem, washed well
- 1 cup petit peasfresh preferred
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
This delicious risotto with peas and mushrooms (morels) recipe was provided by Chef Susan Colt. Susan is the co-fonder of CulinAerie, a prestigious cooking school based in Washington D.C. Chef Rupen Rao, one of Chef’s Pencil contributors is teaching Indian cuisine cooking classes at CulinAerie.
The mushrooms chosen for this particular risotto recipe are morels, which are wild mushrooms that are not typically farmed like most grocery store mushrooms.
Morels and Peas Risotto Recipe
- Bring stock just to a boil and reduce to low heat.
- Add salt to taste so that the stock is well-seasoned.
- Combine olive oil, lemon zest and onion in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Sauté onion over medium heat until translucent, stirring frequently, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat. Ladle in about a third of the hot stock.
- Continuously stir the rice with a wooden spoon until the liquid has almost been absorbed; mixture should be at a simmer but not a boil.
- Add another third of hot stock and continue stirring until it has been absorbed.
- Each addition of stock should cover the rice by about half an inch. While the rice is in the last stage of cooking, heat a small pan over medium heat.
- Add butter and morels and sauté until just tender, 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and reserve.
- Add the final addition of stock.
- When the rice is almost cooked, add the peas, cook for one more minute and remove from the heat and add the cheese and morels.