For the salad:
2-3 yellow squash
2 cups cherry heirloom tomatoescut in half
6-8 basil leaves chiffonade
1/8 cup toasted sunflower seeds
For the Tomato vinaigrette:
4 roma tomatoes
2-3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup Olive Oil
Salt and pepperto taste
Chef Sam Middeke combines shaved ribbons of zucchini and summer squash with tomatoes and finishes with a fresh tomato vinaigrette. It’s super light and bright and enhances the natural flavors of the vegetables.
Recipe provided by Chef Sam Middeke of Adele’s in Nashville, TN.
How to Prepare the Salad:
- Using a mandolin and the julienne attachment, cut all the squash into strips. If you do not have a mandolin, simply slice the squash long ways and julienne.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add half of your tomato vinaigrette (see the recipe below) and stir gently with a spoon (or hands) until everything is coated with dressing.
- Season to taste and divide evenly onto 4 plates. Top each with chiffonade basil for garnish.
How to Make the Tomato Vinaigrette:
- In a blender, add the tomatoes, garlic, and white balsamic vinegar.
- Blend on high for 1-2 min.
- Once blended together, slowly stream in the olive oil until emulsified.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.