- 24 live razor clams
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 small shallot
- 1/2 head fennelchopped
- 8 ounces dry white wine
- 1 pinch chile flakes
- 16 razor clam shells
- 2 teaspoons razor clam steaming fluid
- 4 fennel stemsleaves removed, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juicefresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- pinch maldon salt
- 2 teaspoons calabrian chile paste
- Rinse the razor clams to remove all residual sand.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add the EVOO, garlic, fennel, shallot and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the razor clams and chiles, followed by the white wine and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until the first wisps of steam escape – immediately remove from heat and check that all the razor clams are open and just firm.
- Strain the liquid and reserve.
- When the clams are cool enough to handle, remove the straight firm muscle from the surrounding belly.
- Slice thinly on a bias and reserve in a small mixing bowl.
- Clean the razor clam shells by separating the halves, rinsing them and reserve them on a towel.
- In a small bowl, mix the sliced razor clam with the fennel tops, lemon, razor clam steaming liquid, maldon salt and EVOO.
- Place a small portion of the calabrian chile paste on the end of each razor clam shell.
- Add a spoonful of the razor clam mixture to each shell and serve on ice.