1 pound Russet potatoes
1/2 medium onion
3/4 tsp Kosher Salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
applesaucefor serving, optional
sour creamfor serving, optional
finely chopped parsleyfor serving, optional
What’s not to love about a crispy, golden brown potato fritter? In Germany, these are super popular… often served with sour cream, or sometimes a beet or apple sauce. To make, simply peel and grate a low-starch potato and mix with onion and egg. Once mixed, they are fried until golden brown. Delicious, easy and makes a great breakfast!
- Wash, peel, and coarsely grate the potatoes.
- Place the grated potatoes in a clean dishcloth or cheesecloth and squeeze out as much of the liquid as you can into a bowl.
- Let the liquid stand a few minutes, then carefully spoon out and discard the top layer of liquid, leaving the potato starch at the bottom of the bowl. Add the potatoes back to the starch.
- Grate the onion over the potatoes.
- Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and egg. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet, preferably nonstick, until it begins to shimmer.
- Drop about 1/2 cup of potato mixture into the hot oil and flatten with the back of a spoon. Fry, undisturbed, 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve hot with applesauce and sour cream, if you like. Garnish with parsley, if desired.