- 1.5 onionsvery finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlicchopped very finely
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tins whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1.5 cups Chicken Stock
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 handful basil leavesshredded with sharp knife, (chiffonade)
- 1 handful oreganofresh, chopped
Having created many recipes for basic pizza sauce over the years, this one is by far the one that garners the most compliments. As such, I have stopped tweaking and changing the recipe and use this one 99% of the time.
Note: This homemade pizza sauce recipe makes enough for approx 10 medium-large pizzas.
How to Make the Pizza Sauce
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium sized heavy based pot
- Saute the onion on low heat for 15 minutes
- Add the garlic, saute a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Once the garlic and onion have almost melted into the oil, add the tomatoes & paste
- Use the stock to rinse out the cans
- Bring to the boil and reduce to simmer for 50-60 minutes, stir occasionally during this period. Try not to break the tomatoes.
- Add the vinegar, herbs and remaining olive oil, stir well.
- Break up the tomatoes as best you can now.
- Simmer a further 10-15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
This homemade pizza sauce recipe is best combined with our famous New York-style pizza dough recipe supplied by Chef Paul Suplee.