3 cups rice
3 cups Water
Salt and pepper
2 garlic clovespeeled and finely sliced
1/2 cup tomato sauce
3 tb Olive Oil
chickenpork or beef, cubed and stewed
banana leaves(or its substitution)
stringsto tie the pasteles
How to Make Pasteles de Arroz:
- Sauté the rice with the olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic, onion, and sauce.
- You can add some chopped olives and pimentos if desired.
- Add the water or chicken stock.
- Cook in on medium high until the water evaporates and it begins to form craters.
- Cut the banana leaves into rectangles, which you will use to assemble the pasteles.
- Place a big cucharón of rice (serving spoon full of rice which is still al dente, not fully cooked) onto a banana leaf, forming a smaller rectangle. In the center of the rice, add a serving spoon of the stew.
- Then, fold the Pastel de Arroz twice, very carefully, and tie it so that both ends are tied.
- Cook the pasteles in a salted water for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Once cooked, take out of the water, remove the leaves, and serve.