500 grams dried fettuccinespaghetti or any pasta you wish
4 cloves Garlicfinely diced
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsleychopped
extra virgin olive oilbest quality you can find
sea salt flakes
fresh parmesan cheesegrated for serving, optional
small red chillisoptional
Literally translated, it means garlic & oil (extra virgin of course).
If you don’t love quality extra virgin olive oil and sauteed golden garlic, then you won’t understand this recipe. Those of you that do, well you’ll know exactly what a simply magnificent Italian creation this is. I have said it numerous times before and I stand by my words to this day, ‘If there were no such things as good extra virgin olive oil and garlic I would not have become, or continue to be a Chef!’ They are my absolute 2 favourite ingredients and in this dish, the Italians let these ingredients shine in simplicity.
- Chop the chillies if using.
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Cook the pasta in the water until al dente and drain.
- Place the pasta in a large mixing bowl and coat lightly with a little oil.
- Meanwhile in a large pan pour a liberal amount of olive oil and place on medium high heat.
- Saute the garlic (& chilli peppers if using) season with a little salt and pepper.
- Cook the garlic until it is slightly golden and nutty, add the parsley and pour the pans contents over the still warm pasta in the bowl, toss immediately.
- Serve with a crisp white wine, and some crusty bread to soak up the garlic oil in the bottom of the bowl.