5 fresh Yellow Peppersdeveined
1 cup fresh cheese
1 garlic clove
A drop Milk
1/2 cup Oil
1 kg Peruvian Potatoes
1 boiled egg
1 slice lemon
Papas a la Huancaina consists of milk, saltine crackers, cheese, and peppers all blended together in a blender to make a cream that is then poured over slices of boiled yellow potatoes. The plate is then usually garnished with lettuce and olives, though the garnish can vary and you may get slices of boiled egg or even slices of tomato. The softness of the boiled potatoes combines perfectly with the consistency of the cream. This is overall an incredibly enjoyable dish.
Hot to Cook Papas a la Huancaina
- In a pan with a few drops of oil, brown 3 yellow peppers with the peeled garlic clove.
- Once browned, put everything in a bowl and add two more raw and cut yellow peppers.
- Add the cup of fresh cheese, and mix the mixture.
- Add a splash of milk and oil.
- Put the whole mixture in a blender for a few minutes.
- Finally, put in a few drops of lemon juice to enhance the flavor of the Huancaína cream. Serve the cream on top of some cooked Peruvian potatoes and garnish the plate with some olives, lettuce, and slices of egg.
If you love Peruvian food, check out our article on the top 15 Peruvian foods (recipes and photos included).
Photo credit: https://www.comeperuano.pe