- 1 kg white Potatoes
- 1 peeled tomatoesseeded and cut into small cubes
- 1 Oniondiced
- 1 teaspoon ground Garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground yellow pepper
- 1/2 kg ground beef
- 1/2 cup Water
- 6 seeded Botija Olives
- 2 boiled Eggssliced
- 50 g raisins
- Salt and pepper
- Flour and Chuño
- 1/2 liter Oil
Papa Rellena is a popular street dish in Lima, the capital of Peru. Made by making a sort of dough with some lightly fried potatoes and filling it with tasty ingredients such as meat, onions, olives, and hard boiled eggs and then frying it in abundant oil, it makes for a remarkably delicious dish.
How to Cook Papa Rellena
- For the dough, boil the potatoes in salted water, then peel them and pass them through a potato presser, then knead them with salt, separate into six portions and set them aside.
- For the filling, prepare a dressing with oil and onions until it is crystalline, add the garlic, yellow pepper and tomato, and sauté them until they’re well cooked. Then put in the ground beef and stir everything until cooked.
- Add water, salt, pepper, raisins, chopped egg, and olives, then let it cook for a few more minutes.
- To assemble the potatoes, place a portion of the dough between your previously floured hands, flatten it a little, and put on two or three tablespoons of the filling. Make it so there is abundant filling but not a too thin or too thick layer of potato dough.
- Cover it with another portion of flattened dough, stretch it with your fingers, and make it an oval shape.
- Cover each potato with flour and chuño, let it sit for a few minutes, and fry them with plenty of hot oil.
If you love Peruvian food, check out our article on the top 15 Peruvian foods (recipes and photos included).
Photo credit: https://www.quericavida.com