2 packages yeast
8 cups Flour
2 tablespoons melted butter
3 cups Milk
2 teaspoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
Poppy Seed (Mak) Filling:
1 cup poppy seeds
1 cup raisins(optional), rinsed and drained
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup nutsfinely chopped
1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
1 pound apricots
to taste Sugar
1/4 cup crushed walnuts
1 tsp. Lemon Juice
1 lb prunespitted
Pampushky make a perfect marriage with uzvar and are pretty dangerous if you’re on a diet. If their stuffing wasn’t enough, they are topped with sugar powder to look even more seductive.
Ukrainians around the world celebrate Christmas according to the Julian calendar, on January 7th. Pampushky, sweet filled buns, are a favorite on Christmas Day.
How to Make Pampushky:
- Dissolve the yeast as instructed on the package. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, put in part of the flour (about 6 cups), making a well in the middle.
- Beat the eggs lightly, add the melted butter, milk, sugar, and salt. Add this mixture to the flour along with the yeast.
- Mix well and knead until the dough is soft and not sticky, adding the remaining flour only as necessary.
- Knead for about 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise in a warm spot until double in bulk. Punch down and knead lightly.
- Let rise again (or for a quicker, easier dough, make a batch of sweet dough in a bread machine on a manual setting, letting the machine take care of the kneading.)
- Take a small amount of dough and roll on a lightly floured table. It must be fairly thick.
- Cut out rounds, coffee mugs work well.
- Place a small amount of one of the fillings (filling recipes below) in the center, bringing the edges together, and pinch well to seal tightly.
- Place the pampushky seam-side down on a lightly floured surface, cover, and let rise a while, about 15 minutes. Do not let overrise.
- Deep fry in canola oil, heated to about 375° F, for about 3 minutes, turning them to brown on both sides.
- When removing, try to leave most of the oil in the pan, then place the pаmpushky on thick layers of paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
How to Make Some Alternative Fillings for Pampushky:
Poppy Seed (Mak) Filling:
- Grind the clean dry poppy seeds in a coffee grinder and add to the moistened raisins.
- Combine well the honey, nuts, and vegetable oil and then fold into the poppy seeds.
- Boil the apricots until soft.
- Drain thoroughly. Put through a food processor or blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Blend well.
- The same recipe as for apricots but substituting the apricots for 1 lb. of pitted prunes.