1 cup rice
2 poblano peppers
10-15 sprig cilantro
1 handful spinachoptional
1 garlic clove
2 cups stock
1/2 teaspoon Salt
It’s not just any rice, this rice is made with poblano pepper and is very common at Christmas dinner.
How to Make Mexican Green Rice:
- Roast the poblano peppers in the oven for 20-25 minutes. You can flip them over halfway through if you want.
- De-stem and de-seed the poblanos.
- Add them to a blender along with 10-15 sprigs of cilantro, a handful of spinach, 1/2 onion, and 1 garlic clove. Combine well.
- Add a dollop of oil to a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add 1 cup of rice and cook until opaque and starting to turn golden brown, stirring regularly.
- This should only take a couple minutes so keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
- Add the blended puree to the rice and cook for a couple minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add 2 cups of stock and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Stir well, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and let cook until all of the liquid is absorbed, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir and cover the rice, letting it sit in its own steam for a few minutes.
- Take a final taste for salt level, adding more if necessary.
- Serve immediately and store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- If you are using a high sodium storebought stock then adjust the salt level accordingly.
- You might need to add a couple tablespoons of stock to the blender to get the ingredients to combine.