1 1/2 gallon Water
3 lb beef bellyclean and in pieces
1 onionsin quarters
4 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
1 can (14.5oz) large cornor cooked cacahuazintle corn (boiling corn)
15 red chilies New Mexicodried
6 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
Salt and pepperto taste
A party is not a party without a plate of menudo. Made with a dried red chili base in northern Mexico or in a light broth known as ‘what a white’ in the states of Sonora and Sinaloa, it is a dish that unites families. This cozy delight is traditionally served at almost all Mexican celebrations including weddings, quinceañeras, baptisms, and even on New Year’s Eve.
How to Make Spicy Beef and Corn Belly Soup
- In a large pot (2 gallons), heat the water over a medium-low heat.
- Add the belly, onion, 4 cloves, garlic, and bay leaf and let them cook for 2 hours. Check that the belly is soft and not annealed.
To Prepare the Sauce:
- Clean the chilies by removing the stems and let them soak in hot water for 12 to 24 hours, until they soften.
- In a blender, blend the chilies with a cup of the liquid in which they were soaked, 6 cloves of garlic, cumin, and oregano. Strain. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the corn and chili sauce and let it boil for 10 minutes so that the chili sauce is integrated with the other ingredients.
- Serve with chopped onion, oregano, and green lemon
Tip: To speed up the process, boil the chilies for 10 minutes, turn off the heat, and let them rest covered for an hour or until they cool.