- 600 grams chickenboneless, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 200 grams fresh grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon Oilto fry the spices
- 10 long red chilliesprefarebly Bydagi if not Kashmiri
- 1 teaspoon whole pepper corns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons tamarind
- 2 tablespoons Oilor ghee clarified butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 50 grams Onionfinely diced
- few curry leaves
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a pan and fry the red chillies, remove to a clean bowl.
- In the same pan, fry separately the pepper corn, cumin seeds and corriander seeds. Remove to the same bowl.
- Put this roasted spices in a grinder or food processor along with the grated coconut and grind to a smooth paste, adding little water from time to time.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Heat the Oil or Ghee in a deep pan and add cumin seeds when splatters add finely chopped onion and fry till golden brown.
- Add curry leaves, turmeric powder and stir.
- Add ground spices (coconut masala) and stir to mix.
- Add one cup water together with extracted tamarind pulp, add salt to taste.
- Bring it to boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the raw smell of the masala disappears.
- Add the chicken cubes and stir and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the gravy is fairly thick.
This recipe is for medium spicy eater, you can reduce or increase the chillies to your tolerance of chillies!!