2/3 cup / 100 g / 4 oz raisins
7 oz / 200 g raw poppy seeds
1.25 cups / 310 ml Boiled Milk-
3 tbs honey
2 tbs Butter
1 cup / 100 g / 4 oz walnutschopped
1.5 cups / 200 g all purpose flour
1/2 -2/3 cup (100-150ml) warm water
This dish is basically the poppy-seed cake filling mixed with homemade noodles or pasta. It is sweet, full of calories, and absolutely delicious. It can be served hot or cold, depending on one’s preference. Today, according to tradition, the more poppies you eat on Christmas Eve, the more money you will have in the coming year.
How to Make Polish Christmas Noodles with Poppyseeds :
- Raisins: Place the raisins in a container and cover with warm water. Cover the bowl with a small plate and set aside to soak.
- Pour 2.5 cups of milk into a large cooking pot and bring it to boil. Drop all the poppy seeds in.
- Reduce the heat to ‘low’ and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring from time to time. Poppy seeds absorb the milk quite a bit, so make sure there’s enough of it. Add a bit more milk if they get dry, enough to cover. After 25 mins drain well. Try to squeeze out as much milk as possible.
Prepare the dumplings
- Fill a medium-large pot with water, add a tsp of salt and a splash of oil, and bring to the boil.
- In the mean time, make the dumplings by combining all the ingredients in the mixing bowl of a stand up mixer and mix with the hook attachment. If you are working by hand, mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- When combined, transfer onto a clean, floured surface (preferably a large cutting board), and knead until smooth.
- Roll out with a rolling pin and cut into strips (a pizza cutter works great!) and then diagonally.
- Sprinkle the dumplings with flour and use a knife to lift them off of the surface, so they do not stick together.
- When the water is boiling, slide them off your cutting board into the pot and immediately stir gently, we don’t want them clumping together. Turn the heat down and let simmer until the dumplings float to the top. Drain and set aside to cool.
Grinding the poppy seeds
It’s best to grind them using a meat grinder, using a disc with the smallest holes.
- Using a disc with the smallest holes, grind the poppy seeds 2 to 3 times.
- Once you’ve done that, place ground poppyseeds in a medium pot, add: water (1 cup / 250 ml), honey, and a pinch of salt, and also water from soaking raisins. Simmer on low until water evaporates. Lastly, add butter and stir to melt and incorporate.
- Transfer the poppy seed mixture to a large bowl, add the raisins, walnuts, and dumplings. Mix to combine. The dish can be served cold or warm.