2/3 cup / 100 g / 4 oz raisins
7 oz / 200 g raw poppy seeds
1.25 cups / 310 ml Boiled Milk-
3 tbs honey
2 tbs Butter
1 cup / 100 g / 4 oz walnutschopped
1.5 cups / 200 g all purpose flour
1/2 -2/3 cup (100-150ml) warm water
This dish is basically the poppy-seed cake filling mixed with homemade noodles or pasta. It is sweet, full of calories, and absolutely delicious. It can be served hot or cold, depending on one’s preference. Today, according to tradition, the more poppies you eat on Christmas Eve, the more money you will have in the coming year.
How to Make Polish Christmas Noodles with Poppyseeds :
Preparing Poppy Seed Mixture:
- Begin with the raisins. Place them in a container and cover them with warm water. Cover the bowl with a small plate and set it aside to soak.
- Pour 2.5 cups of milk into a large cooking pot and bring it to a boil. Add all the poppy seeds.
- Reduce the heat to ‘low’ and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Poppy seeds tend to absorb the milk, so ensure there’s enough liquid. If they become dry, add a bit more milk to keep them covered. After 25 minutes, drain them well, trying to squeeze out as much milk as possible.
Preparing the Dumplings:
- In a medium-large pot, fill it with water, add a teaspoon of salt and a splash of oil, and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings by combining all the ingredients in the mixing bowl of a stand-up mixer, using the hook attachment. If you’re working by hand, mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Once combined, transfer the dough onto a clean, floured surface, preferably a large cutting board, and knead until it becomes smooth.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin and cut it into strips, using a pizza cutter if available. Make diagonal cuts.
- Sprinkle the dumplings with flour and use a knife to lift them off the surface to prevent sticking.
- When the water is boiling, slide the dumplings off the cutting board into the pot and immediately stir gently to prevent them from clumping together. Reduce the heat and let them simmer until they float to the top. Drain and set them aside to cool.
Grinding the Poppy Seeds:
- It’s best to grind the poppy seeds using a meat grinder, using a disc with the smallest holes.
- Grind the poppy seeds 2 to 3 times using the smallest holes on the disc.
Preparing the Poppy Seed Mixture:
- Place the ground poppy seeds in a medium pot. Add 1 cup (250 ml) of water, honey, a pinch of salt, and the water from soaking the raisins. Simmer on low heat until the water evaporates. Finally, add the butter and stir until it melts and incorporates.
Transfer the poppy seed mixture to a large bowl. Add the soaked raisins, walnuts, and dumplings. Mix everything to combine. This dish can be served either cold or warm.