1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
1 can (354 ml) Evaporated Milk
1 can (300 ml) Sweetened Condensed milk
1 cup canned whole kernel corndrained
¾ cup cornstarch
¾ cup Milk
½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Maja blanca is a Filipino dessert that is usually served on holidays or special occasions. It is especially popular during Christmas time. The base is like a coconut pudding mixed with kernels of corn and milk . This recipe uses several types of milk, coconut flakes, and corn to create a deliciously sweet treat with gelatin-like consistency. Surprisingly, this dessert is easy to make. It uses easy to find ingredients and there are only a few easy-to-follow steps.
How to Make Maja Blanca:
- Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.
- In a pot, combine together the coconut milk, evaporated milk, and condensed milk. Bring the mixture to a boil over a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the corn kernels and cook for about a minute or two.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and milk and then whisk until the cornstarch has completely dissolved.
- Gradually add the cornstarch mixture into the pot, stirring, until the mixture thickens to a paste. Watch carefully as the mixture will thicken quickly.
- Transfer the mixture into a prepared pan. Use an oiled spatula to smooth out the surface.
- Allow the mixture to cool down, cover, and then put in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, spread the coconut flakes in a wide skillet. Toast over a medium heat, stirring constantly, until browned.
- Cut the maja blanca into squares and then serve with a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes on top.