1 kilo Gabi Leaves/Taro
2 or 4 cups big Coconut Milk
2 pcs onionsSliced
Dried fishfor Toppings
7 garlic clovesSliced
50 gr Gingersliced
3 pcs Chillioptional
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper and Seasoning granules
2 tbsp Sugar
This authentic Laing recipe is so, so good! It is a Bicolano specialty made with dried taro leaves cooked in coconut milk with a lot of chilies! It’s simple and easy to make.
How to Make Laing:
- In a pan, put the sliced onion, sliced ginger, and sliced garlic and seasoned with salt, pepper, and seasoning granules.
- Add the sliced dried fish and the gabi/taro leaves, then add the chili and sugar.
- Add the coconut milk from the 2nd squeeze (kakang-gata). Cover it and cook on a medium heat.
- When it is boiling, remove the lid and mix slowly: make sure not to over mix to avoid getting IS THIS RIGHT? itchy when you eat?
- Add the coconut milk from the 1st squeeze (pure coconut milk) right before it cooks.
- Stir slowly until slightly dry and cooked. Let it boil until the coconut milk is reduced or almost completely gone
- Serve with white rice, enjoy